harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VM]How to trigue GC while free native memory is low.
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 11:06:59 GMT
You don't want to invoke a GC though, as you said there is no allocation
failure in the Java heap.

If you are eager you just want to know when there are no more references
to the 'byteBuffer' instance, so you can free the native resources it
references.  And if you are lazy you would wait for a resource
allocation failure when creating a new direct byte buffer then be
prepared to ask if there are any collectable 'byteBuffer' instances.

IIRC the NIO buffer code tries to behave eagerly, and uses a
PhantomReference to the object holding onto the resource.  I'm assuming
that you see the out of malloc failure because the phantom is only
enqueued by invoking System.gc(), right?

Regards,
Tim