harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [testing][buildtest] problem with DRLVM build on windows
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 04:51:43 GMT
> On 2/19/07, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, we run a build for both: classlib and DRLVM. But while DRLVM
> > > build started through the proper build.bat it is not necessary to add
> > > cpp.jar, for example, to the ANT_HOME/lib.
> >
> > The DRLVM build can't be running, at least not completely, it runs way
> > too quickly. At least when I compare it to the classlib build run
> > during the 'setup' target.
>
> It is just because the DRLVM build always failed for first run :)
> But this is only one issue that I know about VM build so I prefer not
> to report 'FAILED' status here.
>

> > > From my point of view the attempt to build workspace before we run the
> > > CC allow us to detect some possible issues, like absence of needed
> > > library, at early stage. It should save user's time in setup and
> > > maintenance the CC.
> >
> > I disagree with that. The ability to run the builds of ClassLib and
> > DRLVM during the 'setup' target isn't a guarantee that the projects
> > will build at all from CruiseControl. The two environments are
> > different. This whole thread is anecdotal evidence of that, as I was
> > able to complete the 'setup' target completely and successfully, but
> > the DRLVM didn't build at all in CruiseControl.
>
> It was a bug in the script. Now it fixed. In general, I try to support
> these two environments to be equivalent.

But they aren't equivalent. One is completely dependent on the user's
setup, while the other COULD be nearly completely under the CI
system's control. My strategy for the CI system would be to eliminate
all variability and the biggest variable is the user setting up their
system.

My preference would be to completely eliminate the setup script
altogether and replace it with an archive (zip/tar) that just contains
the entire CI system and the user just needs to start it. In Windows,
I'd suggest installing a service and starting that. The only external
dependencies would be a JRE for running CruiseControl and the native
compiler.

-Nathan

> > I think the goal of the setup script is to create and setup the CI
> > environment for Harmony's projects and do so as quickly as possible.
> > Between the SVN checkout and the builds, the setup takes between 15
> > and 30 minutes before we even get to see if CruiseControl starts up.
>
> I'm not sure that quick start of CC will be good if it done over non-working ws.
> And when we investigate some issue I prefer as little tools in the
> toolchain as possible.
> That's for me, I often forget about GUI libs on Linux and the first
> attempt of build is very useful here :)
>
>  Thanks, Vladimir
> >
> > -Nathan
> >

> > >  thanks, Vladimir