harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Zakharov, Vasily M" <vasily.m.zakha...@intel.com>
Subject [drlvm] Ignoring Sun command line options?
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:14:31 GMT
Hi, all,

I'm now trying to run Netbeans on Harmony. On IBM VM it starts,
though with many errors, but on DRL VM it exits immediately with
the following diagnostic:

Unknown option -XX:PermSize=32m
Use java -help to get help on command line options

The problem is Netbeans startup file is .exe that makes up the
command line and starts java. And that .exe adds -XX:PermSize
and -XX:MaxPermSize options to command line, and DRL VM can't
handle them.

JRockit also doesn't support these options, but it just ignores
them and starts normally:

[JRockit] WARNING:  '-XX:PermSize=32m' is not a valid VM option.
Ignoring.
[JRockit] WARNING:  '-XX:MaxPermSize=160m' is not a valid VM option.
Ignoring.

I think we should follow the JRockit/IBM way in DRL VM and ignore
Sun options we do not support.

My suggestion is to file this as an app-oriented RI-compatibility bug
in DRLVM and fix it as such.

What do you think?

Vasily Zakharov
Intel ESSD