harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Naveen Neelakantam <neela...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: [jitrino][profile]trouble of methodprofiles
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 03:26:11 GMT
EBMethodProfile is an Entry and Backedge profile.  I think in
practice it is used by JET and has one counter that keeps track of
the number of times a method has been entered and has one counter
that keeps track of the number of times any backedge has been
executed in a method.  If either counter exceeds a threshold,
recompilation is triggered

EdgeMethod profile is an edge profiler.  It instruments method entry
and CFG edges to collect the profile (edge_instrument).  If any edge
exceeds a backedge threshold or the entry counter exceeds an entry
threshold, recompilation is triggered.  During recompilation the edge
annotation (edge_annotate) pass can be used to annotate the CFG with
the collected edge profile.  See server.emconf for an example of how
to use edge_instrument and edge_annotate.

Also, you might want to look here:
http://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/drlvm/EM.html#PC
http://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/drlvm/emguide.html

Hope that helps!