harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][JIT] write barrier broken by new jit opts?
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:26:13 GMT
On the 0x25B day of Apache Harmony Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> IMO disabling GC for inlined arraycopy IR region is a good idea and it
> should work.
> Other proposals from me here:
> 1) Why to report each object separately? May be calling wb helper once with
> array of objects could be better?

AFAIR, Robin proposed to report array updates by chunks, which is a
good idea for fast thread suspension. WB once for small arrays, wb
several times for large arrays.

> 2) Another solution could be if GC will provide a helper written with
> vmmagic for array copying by itself?

yes, that makes it a) more elegant/supportable than JIT magic b) has
GC specifics in GC. But on the other hand we should limit this vmmagic
functionality by the "optimized" part of arraycopy. All other
exception throwing pecularities are more natural to implement on JIT
or VM side.

--
Egor Pasko