harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sian January" <sianjanu...@googlemail.com>
Subject [classlib] [luni] Ignored Exceptions and HARMONY-2939
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 10:23:38 GMT
Hello everyone,

I have recently been looking at ignored Exceptions in luni (i.e. places
where an Exception is caught but the catch block is empty).  These are
generally a bad idea because if an Exception does occur it is lost - the
user doesn't see it and it's not logged anywhere either, so if it causes a
problem in the program it is very difficult to find the root cause.

I would like to discuss one of these in particular, in
URLCLassLoader.findResources where an IOException and a
SecurityException are ignored.  Since the signature of the method says that
it throws an IOException (and SecurityException is a subtype of
RuntimeException) I thought the try-catch block could probably be removed
entirely.  However it is an API method and I am finding it difficult to
write a test case for this because I'm not sure how to force either of those
Exceptions.

Geir suggested it might be an interesting topic for the mailing list so
please post your thoughts.  Also if anyone knows how to write the test case
that would be especially helpful.  Details at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-2939.

Thanks,

Sian

--