harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Yang Paulex" <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][pack200] new module (was: [classlib][pack200] Development has stalled :-( )
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 08:56:57 GMT
2007/1/8, Peter Donald <peter@realityforge.org>:

> > > It's not so much the patches being applied fast enough. The problem is
> > > that if I'm adding a new file, and I contribute that, I effectively
> > > can't work on it any more until the file is applied. That's because
> > > when it's subsequently added SVN throws a wobbly and refuses to do
> > > anything because there's a file already there. I'm going to get this
> > > anyway -- solution is to delete and then svn up -- but if I've made
> > > changes to that file (or someone else has made changes that I don't
> > > have) then any further changes get lost. It's less of a problem when
> > > there are already added files there, but most patches I've submitted
> > > have had new files in place, and it does take me a while to sync after
> > > a patch has been applied.
> > How about svk?
>
> I use SVK to do things like this almost everyday and it works like a
> charm. I even use SVK to do changes on repos I have write access so
> that the granularity of main repo commit is the related to size of the
> feature change. About the only negative with SVK is that it can be a
> PITA to install.

I also had some usage experience with svk, and my feeling is similar, it's
great but a little difficult to install (on Linux).

Another choice it to use SVN's vendor branches feature[1], it has no "smart
merge", but it's easier to setup.

[1] svn documentation, chapter 7, section of "vendor branches"

--

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Labotary