harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][security] Compatibility issue for UnresolvedPermission.getUnresolvedCerts()
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:14:50 GMT

> On Jan 9, 2007, at 8:52 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:
>
> > Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >> I disagree with you all :)
> >>
> >> The spec is not that ambiguous - it says :
> >>
> >>   Returns : the signer certificates for the underlying permission
> >>   that has not been resolved, or null, if there are no signer
> >>   certificates. Returns a new array each time this method is called.
> >>
> >> Given that it says "Returns a new array each time this method is
> >> called", I'd return an empty array, so that if people aren't checking
> >> for null (why would you, it says it will return an array....), they
> >> don't get an NPE.

Nope, the spec directly says "returns ... null, if there are no signer
certificates". The second sentence is mainly about internal array
immutability, i.e. a user cannot modify the permission certificates by
changing the returned value. This is formulated a bit vaguely, but
still understandable.

[snip]

> But I thought you said
>
> "returns null on Harmony, as required by the spec."
>
> The spec could be read to require that you return an empty array,
> rather than null.

No, clearly not.