harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][general] How to test the performance of Harmony
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:07:37 GMT
Leo Li wrote:
> Hi, all:
>     With the progress of Harmony project, I think, performance is gradually
> becoming an important feature for our real customers. Besides the stability
> and compatibility, users would incline to choose the one with higher
> speed. Aside from VM, classlib itself also plays a significant role in
> performance.
>    Although we now know some issues that are performance related, in a long
> run, we need performace test results to pick out the hotspot in Harmony
> project. Without data, we are like blind men running in the dark, in the
> area of performance.
>    Is there any advice about the tools to test the performance of Harmony?
>    Actually, if my remember is right, some guys have actually run the
> performance tests. (But I forget where the mail is.)Maybe we can post the
> result on Harmony wiki thus we can have a baseline to improve our code.:)

I have already found one pretty hot spot in [1] using my own JVMTI
agent. It may be used for analyzing hot spots when running benchmarks.
Although I gave the data with exact numbers and stacks I don't know if
someone tired to address this issue.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.harmony.devel/21133

View raw message