harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject [general] Correct name for 64-bit architecture (not IPF)
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:10:18 GMT
Hello

Today while investigating the bug in HARMONY-2975 it appeared that
eclipse doesn't start on 64-bit Linux because os.arch property value is
em64t. The property is set in DRLVM source. Eclipse doesn't recognize
this architecture and failed to load SWT library. When this property
value is changed to x86_64 Eclipse runs ok.

I think we should agree how to call 64-bit platform and I think it is
better to follow the same convention as is used in Linux, that is call
it x86_64 [1].

It may happen that for better compatibility or reuse of VM and classlib
code in other projects we'll need to change some other em64t and amd64
mentions in the sources to x86_64. If there is no strong objection I
would like to change all sources to use only x86_64 instead of brand
names, and rename the files which contain em64t in their names. What do
you think?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EM64T#Industry_naming_conventions

--
Gregory