harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][nio]Volunteer to add support for direct byte buffer in nio channels read/write operation.
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 05:24:49 GMT
Hi, all:
     According to spec, "the Java virtual machine will make a best
effort to perform native I/O operations directly upon it. That is, it
will attempt to avoid copying the buffer's content to (or from) an
intermediate buffer before (or after) each invocation of one of the
underlying operating system's native I/O operations."
    However, I found that in the Harmony nio modules,
SocketChannelImpl and DatagramChannelImpl does not differentiate that
the byte buffer is direct or not. Thus copying of data occurs in
several parts of the calling stack in read/write operations of socket
channels. It might be a burden on performance if direct byte buffer is
used.
   So I decide to add support for direct byte buffer in nio channels.
   Is there any volunteer to join?

Thanks,
Leo.
--