harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Rebriy" <pavel.reb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][verifier] verifier behavior is not compatible with RI
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:32:39 GMT
Let I try to explain how verifications are working. There are 3 modes of
DRLVM verifier:

1. Default mode – without any VM control options

In this mode DRLVM verifier should be compatible with RI default mode.

2. With options "–verify" or "–Xverify"

This mode is supposed to verify more strict checks of class file format
(such as correct naming of fields and methods in constant pool), besides
expects verification of classes loaded by bootstrap classloader.

3. With options "-Xverify:all"

This mode is supposed to more strict verification of classes (such as
interface classes' verification).

Because reference VM doesn't support verification of 'uninitialized this'
class reference under exception handler protection I'm going to move it to
mode 3, so check this verification only if option –Xverify:all is set.

Such behavior should be compatible with reference VM.

> On Jan 19, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> > Ivan Popov wrote:
> >> I'd like to discuss the problem with Eclipse TPTP profiler working
> >> with DRLVM, which is described in HARMONY-2905 [1].  The problem is
> >
> > There is always a workaround to verifier exceptions. You can run
> > the program with -Xverify:none to disable verifier completely.
> > Turning this particular check is simple too. The question is
> > whether this should be a default mode in VM or whether it should be
> > enabled by some special option which doesn't disable all other
> > verifications.
> >
> I'm also darn curious why Sun's verifier doesn't have the problem...
> geir

Best regards,
Pavel Rebriy