harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][enumeration and helper inlining] magic Address fields should not be enumerated
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:46:14 GMT
On 1/26/07, Robin Garner <robin.garner@anu.edu.au> wrote:

> The intended semantics for Address is that it isn't enumerated at GC time
> and doesn't trigger barriers.  The vmmagic ObjectReference type is a
> version of an Address that *is* enumerated, triggers barriers etc.

Good point. I missed this while implementing ObjectReferences in JIT and
today we have ObjectReferences represented like UnmanagedPointers. It does
not affect any of existing helpers, but it worth to be fixed.

 There
> should be no need to save Addresses as ints - which of course is not
> 64-bit safe in any case.

Yes. I'm going to start EM64T port of magics/helpers next week and support
of 64-bit Address-type fields is the first issue to fix.

--
Mikhail Fursov