harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][JIT] write barrier broken by new jit opts?
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:25:14 GMT

> Actually unless there is some compelling real app data it might make sense
> to hold off attempting any "chunk" optimization.  I think Robin posted
> some
> numbers indicating gc latency for a big array copy is probably no big deal
> right now.  Also, adding optimizations that don't help workloads we need
> focus on can clutter the code, make debugging harder and reduce
> reliability.

Yes, I also think so. If memory copying becomes too long it can indicate
that there is some swapping activity. If this kernel operation is done with
higher priority then normal program execution we have a delay for the whole
system, regardless of number of CPUs. At least I see such a behaviour every
day when my antivirus program run it's scans :)

--
Mikhail Fursov