harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Naveen Neelakantam <neela...@uiuc.edu>
Subject [drlvm][jit] vm exit tear-down
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:01:40 GMT
I have an implementation question that I'm having trouble figuring out.

I have a HIR pass that instruments method calls for some stats
gathering that I'd like to do.  I collect a complete call trace
(compressed), but need a way to dump out the compressed trace when
the VM exits.

I've tried declaring a class that inherits from Action and redefines
the deinit() method to suit my purposes (and I used the
DEFINE_SESSION_ACTION_WITH_ACTION macro to register it with the
session action for my pass).  The problem is that deinit() does not
seem to be called every time the VM exits.  If I run "java -
showversion" for example, deinit() is called.  If I run the DaCapo
antlr benchmark it isn't called.

Is this correct behavior?

Or, am I going about this all wrong?  I've noticed that deinit() is
called once for each JIT pipeline my pass is a part of (2 in
server.emconf derivative).  I really want a way to call a method once
when the VM exits, but if such a thing doesn't exist I can manage
with something like deinit().

Thanks,
Naveen