harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject [general] gcc version 4.x as our "default" compiler version?
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:21:50 GMT
In the past, we've talked about what versions of GCC we will consider
as our "supported" toolchain.  We noted that it's useful to keep
using other versions, such as 3.x, to make sure we're not
inadvertently hiding bugs through compiler bugs.

I'd like to tighten up this degree of freedom a little.

What's the harm if we declare 4.x as our default compiler version?
What potential platforms do we lose, or who do we inconvenience
because requiring stdc++.so.6?

I ran into this playing with Harmony on OLPC, and a developer
expressed a little surprise that we were still using 3.x.  I don't
follow the gcc ecosystem at all, so I don't know what issues there
are w/ 4.x, and why we wouldn't move forward to it as a general (not
strict) policy.

geir