harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject [DRLVM][GCv5] (H-2945) scalable parallel generational or non-generational collection
Date Sat, 06 Jan 2007 14:34:24 GMT
Hi, I've submitted a patch for GCv5 at URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-2945, which achieves
good parallelization scalability in real SMP machines. It can works in
generational or nongenerational mode. I have tested it on a Intel
Tulsa platform which has four Pentium-D dual-core processors (totally
8 cores). It performs pretty well. With more processors and larger
heap size, this parallel GC can demonstrate more benefits.

There are two dependences:
1. To fully exploit this GC's adavantage, helper inlining should be
enabled for it. It depends on Harmony-2652 which inlines write
barrier.
2. Some JIT optimizations do not implement write barrer for reference
field update. These opts have to be disabled to make the generational
mode work.

At the same time before the two dependences are resolved, people still
can play with it in non-generational mode. But the performance will be
impacted seriously without helper inlinings.

Dear commiter, please help to integrate it into Harmony SVN. Please
apply the patch at working_vm directory.

Thanks,
xiaofeng