harmony-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [build][doc] building on Debian
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:47:24 GMT

On Jan 18, 2007, at 3:45 AM, Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:

> Suggestions on where to place updates:
>
> For step 2, we can add a note to:
> http://harmony.apache.org/quickhelp_contributors.html

I don't think so.  If we keep adding cruft like this right there,  
it's taking it from the original idea of "simple, quick, clean" to  
something much more involved.

Clearly we need to capture this - I just think that having a separate  
page for this somewhere, with a pointer from the quickhelp page would  
be cleaner.

>
> For step 3, this is some Wiki troubleshooting, but not sure which  
> one ;(
>
>
> Cheers,
> Nadya
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Mark Hindess [mailto:mark.hindess@googlemail.com]
>> Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 11:36 PM
>> To: dev@harmony.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: [build][doc] building on Debian
>>
>>
>> On 17 January 2007 at 21:07, "Morozova, Nadezhda"
>> <nadezhda.morozova@intel.com> wrote:
>>> Alexei,
>>> Great to hear about another achievement of our team!
>>> Do you think the difficulties you report are permanent or relatively
>>> temporary? If this is persistent, we can amend the 'Getting Started'
>>> file; otherwise, I suggest that you add this info to our Wiki
>>> troubleshooting pages. What do you say?
>>
>> 2) sounds permanent - perhaps Alexei Fedotov can provide more details
>>
>> 3) is relatively temporary as I think we've agreed to use versioned
>> libraries or at least try to load them first.
>>
>> -Mark.
>>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: Alexei Zakharov [mailto:alexei.zakharov@gmail.com]
>>>> Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:03 PM
>>>> To: dev@harmony.apache.org
>>>> Subject: [build][doc] building on Debian
>>>>
>>>> Hi all,
>>>>
>>>> I gratefully like to announce that I was successful in building and
>>>> running Harmony on newly installed Debian stable Linux system. As
> far
>>>> as I remember nobody has tried to build on Debian before (I may be
>>>> wrong of course).
>>>>
>>>> However there were some tricks I'd like to share.
>>>> 1. I was able to build both classlib and DRLVM without any problems
>>>> with our "getting started for contributors" page and default Debian
>>>> package set.
>>>> 2. However, DRLVM completely rejected to run after step 1. Even
>>>> HelloWorld crashed. The problem was that the kernel I was using
> wasn't
>>>> fresh enough - big thanks to Alexei Fedotov for pointing this out.
> So
>>>> I've switched from version 2.4.27 to 2.6.8 and this brings DRLVM
> back
>>>> to life.
>>>> 3. After step 2 everything was almost fine. Except for the  
>>>> graphics.
>>>> Almost all Swing & AWT tests fail because it fails to load
>>>> org.apache.harmony.awt.wtk.linux.LinuxWindowFactory. I've spent  
>>>> some
>>>> time investigating this. The correct sequence of actions was
>>>> su
>>>> cd /usr/X11R6/lib
>>>> ln -sf libXmu.so.6 libXmu.so
>>>> ln -sf libXtst.so.6 libXtst.so
>>>> ldconfig
>>>> exit
>>>>
>>>> Now everything is fine. I believe that the information from steps
> (2)
>>>> and (3) may help others to setup Harmony quickly. Probably it is  
>>>> not
> a
>>>> bad idea to put it somewhere on our site.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> --
>>>> Alexei Zakharov,
>>>> Intel ESSD
>>>
>>


Mime
View raw message