harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][general] How to test the performance of Harmony
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 03:37:41 GMT

On Jan 24, 2007, at 10:34 PM, Leo Li wrote:

> Hi, all:
>     With the progress of Harmony project, I think, performance is
> gradually
> becoming an important feature for our real customers. Besides the
> stability
> and compatibility, users would incline to choose the one with higher
> speed. Aside from VM, classlib itself also plays a significant role in
> performance.
>    Although we now know some issues that are performance related,
> in a long
> run, we need performace test results to pick out the hotspot in
> Harmony
> project. Without data, we are like blind men running in the dark,
> in the
> area of performance.
>    Is there any advice about the tools to test the performance of
> Harmony?
>    Actually, if my remember is right, some guys have actually run the
> performance tests. (But I forget where the mail is.)Maybe we can
> post the
> result on Harmony wiki thus we can have a baseline to improve our
> code.:)

Good stuff.

I think that Robin has been tracking using DaCapo.  One of my goals
near-term for build-test is to add Da Capo to the CC run, so we can
start recording that information daily, looking for regressions, and
seeing how we improve.

We should also do the same for other free and non-free tests (like
SPEC).

The real question for me is how we choose one and start profiling to
find the hotspots...

geir