harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Afremov" <pavel.n.afre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] finalizer design questions
Date Mon, 01 Jan 2007 13:24:13 GMT

> This looks good to me.  Its close enough for the current state of
> drlvm.  In
> other words, don't try to precisely replicate the performance numbers I
> collected from Sun 1.5.0.

1/50 ratio with usual work load for finalization system is not good, because
it means 2% VM performance for main task. Let's evaluate following
abstraction. For example for finalization of some objects requires the same
time as for creation. These objects were generated during 10 seconds for
example. So machine will works with 2% performance for main task during 10
seconds when finalizer is works. Finalization shouldn't stop main task, and
2% of performance equals stopping.

Its unclear if you actually ran GCv5 finalizer code or something "like new
> GC v5 scheme".  I don't know what the data means.

I don't know clear how GC v5 should be started for correct work. I ask to
help me and describe correct running way. But I haven't any replay. So I can
emulate GC v5 finalization scheme only. So I use 1 finalization thread with
high priority.

> The point is that the "ideal finalization" design needs to be driven by
> what
> important commercial workloads require.  It will be a while before these
> workloads run fast and stable on drlvm.  In other words, drlvm is not yet
> ready for investigating the final finalization scheme.  Incidentally, the
> data collected on Sun 1.5.0 contradicts the "ideal finalization scheme"
> suggested above.  Given a choice, I would rather do something similar to a
> commercial JVM implementation at this point in time.

The ideal system should have performance which provides finalization of
created objects, but not more. Very high relative performance can block main
task.

So relative performance of  Weldon's scheme in mode 2 is not so high as for
> > SUN 1.5.0 JVM  15/ 2600  = 1/173 (main loop/finalizer call).

It's your data. If You think that your results contains such "suitable"
noise, lets use the other test. I asked You to check your scheme on
gc.Synchronized FinalizerTest some time ago. Lets use it  with various
parameters.

Also we should decide to optimize finalization system for defined set of
application or emulate existing finalization scheme, i.e if any test works
on RI it should works on our one too. Copping existing scheme for some
application is not good way. If there is a set of application let's find the
best solution.

BR
Pavel Afremov

I think you are talking about the difference between 1/50 and 1/173.  In my