harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][native-code][test] How about use some unit test tools to write native unit test code?
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:40:22 GMT

On Jan 24, 2007, at 3:20 AM, Mark Hindess wrote:

> On 24 January 2007 at 15:58, "Spark Shen"
> <smallsmallorgan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> As I said previously, I want to write some native unit tests. Now,
>> all
>> of the native test code are of the following 2 forms:
>> 1. native mains
>> 2. java mains + jni methods
>>
>> How about introduce some automatic unit test tools such as CUNIT,
>> NUNIT etc into our test framework? Is there any licence problem?
>> AFAIK, CUNIT is of GPL licence and NUNIT is of zlib.
>
>> IMHO, they both are ok.Since we only use them as dll not as source
>> code.  Your opinion?
>
> What are you hoping to test?  I think as much as possible should be
> tested from Java.  I'm only treating the the portlib as "special"
> because that is where the majority of the platform-specific code is
> (or
> at least should be!).  Thus having portlib tests really helps porting
> when you don't yet have a VME.

This is interesting.  I agree that we should test as much with java,
but it would be good to ensure that we have the necessary unit test
coverage for the natives.  So instead of hoping the unit tests for
the SE API are thorough enough, what about writing unit tests in java
that are designed to test teh portlib and other natives?

The advantage there is that we can use standard test frameworks to do
this.  downside is, as you point out, what to do when the VM doesn't
work yet on the new platform.

We do have a test framework in DRLVM for native code, right?

geir