harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Henrik Stahl" <hst...@bea.com>
Subject RE: [general] Harmony performance page
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:18:47 GMT
> > Hm. We may have an issue here, I'll check with BEA legal why that
> > statement is there. Please refrain from publishing any performance
> > results on the JRockit evalutation VM until further notice.
> >
> > There is no such restriction in the standard BEA JRockit.
> License here:
> > http://commerce.bea.com/products/weblogicjrockit/50_eula.jsp
>
> Sure, thanks Henrik.
>
> My main point was that its great to have JRockit as another
> top-class commercial VM to help guide Harmony's development.
> If there are any design points in Harmony classlib or VM
> interface that you think would unduly affect JRockit
> achieving peak performance then we should talk about them too.

Yes. Here's where it gets fun: Standard JRockit is based on class
libraries that we license from Sun. This is not the case with J9 if I
understand correctly. So if you run the JRockit JVM vs the JRockit eval
VM for Harmony and compare the performance, you will have a reasonable
estimate on the performance of the *class library*. Not entirely
apples-to-apples, of course, but it's a start.

-- Henrik
by email and then delete it.