harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Garner" <robin.gar...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][JIT] write barrier broken by new jit opts?
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 06:59:53 GMT
I disagree.  Partly from the point of view of eventual support for MMTk,
but also on more general grounds, in terms of support for future GC
algorithms.

If the memory manager requires that the compiler invoke the write barrier
for each pointer store, then it should honour the contract and do so.

If you want to provide an object remembering barrier that the compiler can
call as an optimization, then by all means do so, but the GC should not be
forced to work around compiler 'optimizations' that break fundamental
interface contracts.

While object remembering barriers may be adequate for GCV5 there are a
large family of GC algorithms that they are inadequate for, including
reference counting and concurrent/incremental GCs.

regards,
Robin