harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][threading] taking a closer look at Harmony-2803 (stress.Mix hangs on rhel4)
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:28:11 GMT
On 1/4/07, Naveen Neelakantam <neelakan@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> When you say "fail", do you mean the test hangs?  That was the
> behavior I was seeing.

I see it hang consistently when running automated mode (build test).  I have
seen it hang once when running manually from a linux terminal window.  It
actually printed out "PASSED" then hung.  This leads me to suspect there
might be problems with how System.out.flush() is working when there are
multiple threads running on SMP.  Are you running on an SMP box?  Can you
give me the exact command line you are using?  I would like to try it on my
box.

I tried running stress.Mix on the command line several times, and it
> would still hang.
>
> Naveen
>
> On Jan 4, 2007, at 11:06 AM, Weldon Washburn wrote:
>
> > stress.Mix has been broken since December 19.  From a quick
> > investigation it
> > looks like stress.Mix is having problems with thread
> > synchronization on red
> > hat release 4 on 2 cpu server.  As much as I would like to simply
> > committing patches to the threading system, it seems prudent to fix
> > stress.Mix threading problems first.
> >
> > Running stress.Mix on my one cpu laptop shows real close to 60
> > threads are
> > created, each running one of 10 different workloads.  stress.Mix
> > test always
> > passes on my laptop.
> >
> > Running "build test" which contains stress.Mix on my 2 cpu red hat box
> > always fails.  Using "mpstat -P ALL" shows that both cpus are
> > idle.  Another
> > related data point is that when I run "......deploy/jdk/jre/bin/
> > java -cp  .
> > stress.Mix" from linux terminal window, the test always passes.
> > Interestingly real close to 60 threads are also created on the
> > server. AFAICT the only difference between running "build test" and
> > running
> > the test manually is the std error output to terminal screen.  Std
> > error
> > println's appear when running manually but do not appear when
> > running with
> > "build test".  My best guess at this time is that the println's to
> > screen
> > are forcing the threads to not aggrevate a synch bug.
> > If nobody else is working on the above, I will continue my
> > investigation.
> > Thoughts?  Suggestions?
> >
> > --
> > Weldon Washburn