harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject [drlvm][threading] taking a closer look at Harmony-2803 (stress.Mix hangs on rhel4)
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2007 17:06:42 GMT
stress.Mix has been broken since December 19.  From a quick investigation it
looks like stress.Mix is having problems with thread synchronization on red
hat release 4 on 2 cpu server.  As much as I would like to simply go back to
committing patches to the threading system, it seems prudent to fix
stress.Mix threading problems first.

Running stress.Mix on my one cpu laptop shows real close to 60 threads are
created, each running one of 10 different workloads.  stress.Mix test always
passes on my laptop.

Running "build test" which contains stress.Mix on my 2 cpu red hat box
always fails.  Using "mpstat -P ALL" shows that both cpus are idle.  Another
related data point is that when I run "......deploy/jdk/jre/bin/java -cp  .
stress.Mix" from linux terminal window, the test always passes.
Interestingly real close to 60 threads are also created on the
server. AFAICT the only difference between running "build test" and running
the test manually is the std error output to terminal screen.  Std error
println's appear when running manually but do not appear when running with
"build test".  My best guess at this time is that the println's to screen
are forcing the threads to not aggrevate a synch bug.
If nobody else is working on the above, I will continue my investigation.
Thoughts?  Suggestions?

--
Weldon Washburn