harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Harmony performance page
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:07:23 GMT
Henrik Stahl wrote:
> JRockit doesn't have any restrictions on this. Just be careful not to
> use SPEC benchmarks without checking the SPEC benchmark rules first.

It's always worth reading the terms under which you get a JRE to check
that you are allowed to measure and publish performance numbers -- some
licences specifically disallow it [1].

In any case, I think it would be good manners to note on the Harmony
performance page that the numbers are an indication of the entire stack
(or to put it another way, we don't want to imply that a VM is poor at
performance when it is really the fault of performance issues in the
class libraries).

[1] The JRockit for Harmony license includes a restriction to not
"disclose the results of software performance benchmarks to any third
party without BEA’s prior written consent" -- this is not unusual.

Regards,
Tim