harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Can't neither update nor checkout harmony's tree root.
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:07:25 GMT
Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Pavel Pervov wrote
>>> Me too, actually, but under GIT. Any ideas?
>>> P.S. I can check out and update subtrees and root files separately
>>> though...
>
> Geir wrote:
>> I'll try and figure out how bad the problem was.  Once a day doesn't
>> sound bad, but I got the sense it was far worse.  Maybe someone is
>> over-reacting, but I know Joe, and he's fairly deliberate, careful and
>> pragmatic.
>
> We do mirroring of particular modules (drlvm, classlib) hourly with Tailor,
> (not once a day) - could this be the cause of high load?
> Tailor does 'svn log' first, and then repeatedly 'svn update -r ...' for all
> new versions.

There is a module that prevents checking out the project root, since
getting trunk and all branches/tags is not usually what people want, and
stresses the server (I seem to vaguely remember Rich or someone call
this the 'mod_you_didnt_want_to_do_that' <g>).

The advice that I saw Joe give to somebody else (and I'm sure he won't
mind me repeating here) is:
   "If you can keep the daily traffic to under 10K hits,
   I won't notice you at all (which is a good thing).
   But if the traffic approaches 100K, it will get blocked"

HTH

Tim