harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][build]Shall we check the md5 of dependencies every time before building classlib?
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:25:15 GMT
Tony Wu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that our build system will check md5 of dependencies after
> fetching them. But it is not be done in build time when the file with
> same name is already exist. I suggest that we do that everytime before
> building classlib if it is not designed for flexibility intentionally.
>
> BTW, I found that there are not only one yoko.jar in my
> depends/jars[1]. IIRC, only one of them will be used actually. I guess
> one have to create different directory to fetch new version of yoko
> due to this problem?

We don't need to, but it is good housekeeping to keep track of the
versions.  We don't delete old versions so you might well see the
dependencies directory growing over time.  You can manually delete them.

> My proposal is that we check the md5 and delete the file which has no
> expected md5 value before starting to build classlib . Hence, if we
> want to update a dependcy, we could simply change the corresponding
> $dependcy.url and $dependcy.md5 and keep the $dependcy.dir and
> $dependcy.jar as is in depends.properties. And another advantage is
> that we could guarantee that the dependencies are exactly what we
> want.

I'm not really convinced.  If people wanted to build with a bogus
dependency they can easily hack the MD5 check in the build script too.

At this point I think it is more useful to check that the files were
downloaded successfully.

Regards,
Tim