harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "bootjvm" <boot...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [general] centralization of the NOTICE, COPYRIGHT, etc files
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 01:00:11 GMT

Comments inline.

If I understand correctly, the original idea was to place all such
files in the federated build area in 'harmony/enhanced/trunk'.
The work to date has been to condense notices like "Copyright
2005 Intel" and "Copyright 2005-2006 Intel" and the like from
the individual files with individual notices into a single file in
this directory.  In this example, the file affected are the 'COPYRIGHT'
files from the various directories having their notices combined into
a single file in the federated build area.

My proposal is based on this original thought process.

> > 3.  Remove almost all COPYRIGHT, LICENSE, NOTICE, and
> >     THIRD_PARTY_NOTICES.txt files in favor of a symbolic
> >     link to the equivalent file in 'enhanced/trunk'.  These files
> > contain
> >     the complete superset of all other files that will be replaced
> > with
> >     a symbolic link.  Intel's 2006 copyright claim for a contribution
> >     is the only change that will be made to these files:
> >
> >         enhanced/trunk/COPYRIGHT
> >         enhanced/trunk/LICENSE
> >         enhanced/trunk/NOTICE
> >         enhanced/trunk/THIRD_PARTY_NOTICES.txt
>
> You can't do links in SVN.  We just need to make sure that we have a
> README in every root that points people to the right place for the
> files.

Originally, SVN could not do symbolic links.  However, since we are
on version 1.4.2, this has changed.  As of version 1.1, SVN has been
able to mange symbolic links.

Although I think that centralizing the files into 'harmony/enhanced/trunnk'
is still workable, adding a statement in each root area that describes why
these files were centralized and where they are is a good suggestion.

> > 4.  Two exceptions to this rule are some similarly-named files
> >      in '/enhanced/jchevm' which cover special circumstances
> >     of that contribution.  Those files will, however, be adjusted
> >     to use native EOL style in SVN.
> >
> > 5.  The complete list of affected files follows this narrative
> >     and precedes the previous list e-mail discussion.
> >
> > This is everything that needs to be done now.  Several adjustments
> > along the way have made other ideas either obsolete or have already
> > been accounted for.
> >
> > Comments are solicited, especially from Tim Ellison and Geir
> > Magnusson.
> >
> > I would appreciate it if everyone could respond within about a
> > week, namely
> > by January 22.  I would like to perform the SVN adjustments soon
> > thereafter.
> > Thanks for your time in evaluating this proposal.
>
> Actually, I think that an alternative might be simply to have
>
>    COPYRIGHT_CLASSIB
>    COPYRIGHT_DRLVM
>    COPYRIGHT_JCHEVM
>
> etc...  so each component maintains their own info?

If this is really the way to go, then what we really ought to do is
to either (a) remove the files in 'enhanced/trunk' or (b) add
symbolic links there to point to the various component,
or (c) centralize them there with the original approach.

I probably would not vote for (a), but would be open to (b)
as a way to keep the various components separated.  This has
an advantage over (c) in that nothing is merged from other
components.

What does everyone think about these three approaches?
(Paging Tim Ellison)

Dan Lydick