harmony-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Alexei Zakharov" <alexei.zakha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build][doc] building on Debian
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:02:07 GMT
Nadya Morozova wrote:
> Do you think the difficulties you report are permanent or relatively
> temporary?

I tend to agree with Mark that problem (2) looks like permanent. But
problem (3) should be fixed inside Harmony somehow IMHO.

> If this is persistent, we can amend the 'Getting Started'
> file; otherwise, I suggest that you add this info to our Wiki
> troubleshooting pages. What do you say?

I think 'Getting Started' is ok for (2)

Geir Magnusson wrote:
> Yikes!  Why?

This seems to be a good question to our DRLVM experts. BTW Sun Java
works fine on any kernel. If think we should clarify it before adding
this info to our site.

Mark Hindess wrote:
> 3) is relatively temporary as I think we've agreed to use versioned
> libraries or at least try to load them first.

+1 from me (if someone still counts)

Regards,

2007/1/17, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com>:
>
> On 17 January 2007 at 21:07, "Morozova, Nadezhda" <nadezhda.morozova@intel.com>
wrote:
> > Alexei,
> > Great to hear about another achievement of our team!
> > Do you think the difficulties you report are permanent or relatively
> > temporary? If this is persistent, we can amend the 'Getting Started'
> > file; otherwise, I suggest that you add this info to our Wiki
> > troubleshooting pages. What do you say?
>
> 2) sounds permanent - perhaps Alexei Fedotov can provide more details
>
> 3) is relatively temporary as I think we've agreed to use versioned
> libraries or at least try to load them first.
>
> -Mark.
>
> > >-----Original Message-----
> > >From: Alexei Zakharov [mailto:alexei.zakharov@gmail.com]
> > >Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:03 PM
> > >To: dev@harmony.apache.org
> > >Subject: [build][doc] building on Debian
> > >
> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > >I gratefully like to announce that I was successful in building and
> > >running Harmony on newly installed Debian stable Linux system. As far
> > >as I remember nobody has tried to build on Debian before (I may be
> > >wrong of course).
> > >
> > >However there were some tricks I'd like to share.
> > >1. I was able to build both classlib and DRLVM without any problems
> > >with our "getting started for contributors" page and default Debian
> > >package set.
> > >2. However, DRLVM completely rejected to run after step 1. Even
> > >HelloWorld crashed. The problem was that the kernel I was using wasn't
> > >fresh enough - big thanks to Alexei Fedotov for pointing this out. So
> > >I've switched from version 2.4.27 to 2.6.8 and this brings DRLVM back
> > >to life.
> > >3. After step 2 everything was almost fine. Except for the graphics.
> > >Almost all Swing & AWT tests fail because it fails to load
> > >org.apache.harmony.awt.wtk.linux.LinuxWindowFactory. I've spent some
> > >time investigating this. The correct sequence of actions was
> > >su
> > >cd /usr/X11R6/lib
> > >ln -sf libXmu.so.6 libXmu.so
> > >ln -sf libXtst.so.6 libXtst.so
> > >ldconfig
> > >exit
> > >
> > >Now everything is fine. I believe that the information from steps (2)
> > >and (3) may help others to setup Harmony quickly. Probably it is not a
> > >bad idea to put it somewhere on our site.


-- 
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel ESSD

Mime
View raw message