harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Zakharov" <alexei.zakha...@gmail.com>
Subject [build][doc] building on Debian
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:03:04 GMT
Hi all,

I gratefully like to announce that I was successful in building and
running Harmony on newly installed Debian stable Linux system. As far
as I remember nobody has tried to build on Debian before (I may be
wrong of course).

However there were some tricks I'd like to share.
1. I was able to build both classlib and DRLVM without any problems
with our "getting started for contributors" page and default Debian
package set.
2. However, DRLVM completely rejected to run after step 1. Even
HelloWorld crashed. The problem was that the kernel I was using wasn't
fresh enough - big thanks to Alexei Fedotov for pointing this out. So
I've switched from version 2.4.27 to 2.6.8 and this brings DRLVM back
to life.
3. After step 2 everything was almost fine. Except for the graphics.
Almost all Swing & AWT tests fail because it fails to load
org.apache.harmony.awt.wtk.linux.LinuxWindowFactory. I've spent some
time investigating this. The correct sequence of actions was
su
cd /usr/X11R6/lib
ln -sf libXmu.so.6 libXmu.so
ln -sf libXtst.so.6 libXtst.so
ldconfig
exit

Now everything is fine. I believe that the information from steps (2)
and (3) may help others to setup Harmony quickly. Probably it is not a
bad idea to put it somewhere on our site.

Thanks,
--
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel ESSD