harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject [porting] FreeBSD (rambling)
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:07:11 GMT

I've checked in the changes (and some horrible hacks) that I needed
to get Classlib to compile on FreeBSD/x86.  The next things on this
particular todo list are:

1) Document what I had to install on top of the default 6.1-RELEASE.  (I
used this version because it ran under qemu but I'll probably try the
new 6.2-RELEASE when I write up my notes.)  I need to check my notes but
I think everything came from the ports collection and I didn't have to
build anything manually.

2) Document and/or fix the various hacks.  For instance, I tweaked the
Linux reserved memory functions in hyvmem.c to compile on FreeBSD but
they certainly wont work.

3) Try FreeBSD/x86_64.

The current status is that it compiles and the current portlib tests
run.

There is one slightly odd failure.  The hyerror last error message is
not null at startup.  I suspect it is the nls catalog that is not found
because there is no way to find the executable name.  (The portlib
executable name function only works if either:

a) we are on linux (and /proc is mounted)

b) we pass in argv[0]

but clearly a) isn't true and at the point of the call argv[0] isn't
available.  I'm not sure how to fix this.  (If we insist that /proc
is mounted on FreeBSD we might resolve it here but /proc is a little
different on FreeBSD *and* it is not mounted by default.  Besides this
isn't really a generic solution.)

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone is interested in trying to look at
porting drlvm?  Currently, drlvm seems to assume anything not windows
is linux (which is not too different to how classlib used to be).  With
classlib I knew enough to get started but I'm not really sure how it is
intended to extend this to other platforms with drlvm.

Sorry for the rambling but I didn't really get enough sleep last night.

Regards,
 Mark.