harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][portlib] Native tests
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:03:57 GMT

On 23 January 2007 at 11:49, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > I've checked in an initial attempt at creating some native tests so that
> > we can test portlib without drlvm (or a VME).  I intended to add a few
> > more tests for other portlib functions soon.  Most of the "tests" don't
> > really do anything more than confirm that the function runs.  Hopefully
> > we can improve some of them.
> >
> > The test output should appear in the normal "ant test" report under
> > a package "native.portlib".  The output from the tests is available
> > from the "System.out" link on the each tests results page.  This could
> > probably be improved.
> >
> > In order to get the tests to run, the modules/portlib/build.xml sets
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH on unix to enable libhyprt.so and friends to be found.
> > On windows I've tried to set the PATH but have suffered from some
> > issues with the interaction of the case-sensitive variables in ant
> > and case-insensitive variables in windows.  I've currently left an
> > 'unless="is.windows"' in modules/portlib/ build.xml because of these
> > issues - and because when it fails it brings up a dialog box hanging any
> > automated builds.
>
> There are C native tests in DRLVM which test the threading system API.
> You can find the launching file in
> drlvm/trunk/build/make/targets/cunit.test.xml [1].

Yes.  I'd seen these.  I was avoiding testing the threading API since
there is still a debate to be had about where it belongs.  (Actually,
I think there is debate over other code too.  For instance, the hysl.c
functions for shared libraries is probably duplicated too just not in
quite such an obvious way.)

Of course, using the threading API is unavoidable.  Even the
"simple" init test that just calls "hyport_init_library" and
"port_shutdown_library" requires the threading API.

When looking at porting on FreeBSD and other platforms, the "simple"
init test is the one that fails most often.

> It looks like on windows you should use "Path" environment variable
> and use ${env.Path} in Ant.

Okay.  Then, in theory, the existing ant code should work on windows.

-Mark.