harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][pack200] new module (was: [classlib][pack200] Development has stalled :-( )
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:18:01 GMT
On Monday 08 January 2007 06:25 Peter Donald wrote:
> > > I use SVK to do things like this almost everyday and it works like a
> > > charm. I even use SVK to do changes on repos I have write access so
> > > that the granularity of main repo commit is the related to size of the
> > > feature change.
> >
> > I don't understand quite what you mean.
>
> Sometimes when I am working on a feature X. I will work till I get
> partial X working and commit that. Then I will get X working that
> little bit more and commit that etc. Before I used SVK this would
> flood the main SVN repository with these changes. Some of these
> changes would be trivial, some would get backed out and some were just
> points I may want to roll back to. Thus the SVN repos got filled up
> with some "junky" changes.
>
> Now that I use SVK I will incrementally commit to local SVK repo. When
> I complete implementing feature X, and it is fully tested and verified
> then I will  push the changes from SVK back into SVN as one large
> commit. This makes the SVN repository much more useful as each change
> is one single consistent semanticlly consistent change - rather than
> feature X being scattered across a set of changes - it all occurs in
> one commit.

This pretty much reminds me of what GIT is capable of doing and how it was
used internally in Intel. You are building a chain of commits into a local
repository, then create a patch which includes all changes in this chain. I
am very curious about one aspect of this practice. If in the main repository
in SVN some files affected by your chain of commits are changed, how hard it
is to merge changes from the main latest revision of SVN repository with the
chain that you've built locally, based on some earlier previous SVN revision?

GIT has a very powerful command rebase (to make the base revision which was
used to create a chain of local commits) and I used to love it. I wonder if
SVK can do the same. If yes, I'm going to try it too.

--
Gregory