harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Donald" <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [classlib][pack200] new module (was: [classlib][pack200] Development has stalled :-( )
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 03:25:18 GMT
> > I use SVK to do things like this almost everyday and it works like a
> > charm. I even use SVK to do changes on repos I have write access so
> > that the granularity of main repo commit is the related to size of the
> > feature change.
>
> I don't understand quite what you mean.

Sometimes when I am working on a feature X. I will work till I get
partial X working and commit that. Then I will get X working that
little bit more and commit that etc. Before I used SVK this would
flood the main SVN repository with these changes. Some of these
changes would be trivial, some would get backed out and some were just
points I may want to roll back to. Thus the SVN repos got filled up
with some "junky" changes.

Now that I use SVK I will incrementally commit to local SVK repo. When
I complete implementing feature X, and it is fully tested and verified
then I will  push the changes from SVK back into SVN as one large
commit. This makes the SVN repository much more useful as each change
is one single consistent semanticlly consistent change - rather than
feature X being scattered across a set of changes - it all occurs in
one commit.

> I'm going to give it a whirl.  I've been pondering the benefits/
> downsides of a distributed version control system, and maybe this
> will help me get a better perspective.

Some useful isntructions on the work flow I use.

http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Get_The_Source#Use_SVK

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald