harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [doc][website] finalizing changes to nav pane
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:55:14 GMT

On Jan 18, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> After a long-long pause, I'm restarting the thread about our website
> navigation menu and generic pages that require improvement. I hope
> that
> after the New Year all the emotions have boiled down and we can move
> over this quickly :)
>
> Key ideas that were gathered during the review of the sandbox copy of
> website:
> (1) navigation menu is mostly ok though several improvements are
> possible

I'm in the "it's ok" camp. There are tweaks, but I still don't see
where major change is needed.

> (2) some generic pages require improvement because they're outdated or
> do not contain required info or don't deliver their main idea clearly

+1

?

> Let's address these one by one. This letter is about (1) only. For (2)
> and (3), I'll send patches per page so that we don't miss anything
> during the review.
>
> For the nav pane, I've a patch ready and waiting for your approval to
> commit. If you are strongly against a change suggested, let's discuss
> this. New version:
>
> General
>     * License
>     * Contribution Policy
>     * Downloads
> (removed references to ASF and project guidelines because the
> Guidelines
> actually have info on a number of very different topics, we can try
> and
> find a better place for them; having Policy *and* Guidelines confuses
> many people)

We're an ASF project - please put the ASF link back.

who has been confused by having "Contribution Policy" and "Project
Guidelines"?

> Community
>     * Get Involved
>     * Who we are
>     * Mailing Lists
>     * Bug Tracker
> (removed Documentation (useless page), FAQ is above now, Wiki is in
> docs
> now, renamed Committers > Who we are (might not be the best name, but
> the page can be about PMC, committers and contributors, why only the
> committers?); moved JIRA to this list and renamed > Bug Tracker as the
> more generic term)

Ok

> Development
>     * Source Code
>     * Getting Started (link for contributors)
>     * Project Roadmap
>     * Resolution Guideline
> (removed How are we Doing (useless page), moved roadmap lower to make
> Source code stand out, removed Other projects (rarely used page),
> added
> Resolution guideline)

We should keep the "Other Projects" and keep it up to date.  Why are
Resolution Guidlines not in docs?

> Documentation
>     * Sitemap
>     * Wiki
>     * HDK
>     * DRLVM
>     * Class Libraries
>     * Build-test Framework
> (renamed Subcomponents > Documentation; added sitemap (the file itself
> is under development now), added wiki link here, added HDK page
> (discussible, but hope to have a nice patch to describe our
> deliverable
> there); removed classlib status (outdated, we can have Wiki instead)

Uh, I'm not a big fan of having important info on the Wiki.  can we
put that back?  I think it's important to have that kind of stuff in
one place, here on the site.

geir