harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] JIRA issue search problem
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:01:27 GMT
On the 0x240 day of Apache Harmony Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> Salikh,
>
> there is some truth in your words...
> Yes, if we got a big issue then nothing strange in fixing it by 2, 3
> or 10 people. And fix will probably appear faster and will be better.
>
> But most of 700 open issues in JIRA now are rather simple issues. Like
> wrong exception,  no exception and so on. How many people will we need
> to add an NPE check? 2, 3 or 10? There is an old joke: "How many
> programmers do you need to change the lamp?" :)
> And it's real pain to open tens of simple issues to check if somebody
> already working on it. Impossibility of setting "patch available" flag
> makes the situation even worse because you should check already fixed
> issues too while you find some free to fix issue.

That can be partially solved by pressing the "watch it" button for the
issue you want to track. You will get the notifications on all the
changes of watched issues by email. I use it regularly and it helps.

If you had a good mail client that could filter email messages by the
"[Patch Available]" substring in email _contents_, then you could
easily get notifications of patch availibility for issues you are
interested in.

IMHO, this is good that only authors and comitters can set the "Patch
Available" status. It induces a certain level of responsibility for
JIRA owners to track the issues, review the patches, try them and
respond.

--
Egor Pasko