harmony-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FW: [doc][drlvm][classlib] trunk has old doc files
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 12:49:02 GMT
+1 for site-only

2006/12/7, Morozova, Nadezhda <nadezhda.morozova@intel.com>:
> Folks,
> I am sorry to re-iterate over the same topic, but I haven't seen any
> solution and do not know what to do. In fact, the question seems to be
> large enough for both classlib and drlvm docs. Opinions welcome.
>
> There seems to be lack of clear policy on where and how we store
> documentation, or it's just me.
>
> We now have 4 major locations for documentation files:
> Enhanced/classlib/trunk/doc/*modulename* - classlib module specific docs
> Enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/doc - original doc files donated with drlvm code
> Standard/site/xdocs/subcomponents/* - classlib and drlvm recent docs
> Standard/site/docs/externals/regexp|security - 2 classlib module docs
> checked out from the classlib trunk into the website
>
> As a result, some docs are distributed with code and copied to site,
> some are stored at the site only, and some are duplicated and require
> syncing.
>
> I can do the cleanup to find files that exist in two variants and try
> the merge, but I need to know where we're merging them to. Which option
> do we prefer?
> 1. Continue storing docs in the trunk of code and set up externals
> copying for all classlib docs and for drlvm docs?
> 2. Remove all docs out of trunk and store on the site only?
>
> I'd vote for 2 - because this seems simpler and unambiguous and fewer
> copies of files actually exist. However, I'd go with what gurus say.
>
> Cheers,
> Nadya
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Morozova, Nadezhda [mailto:nadezhda.morozova@intel.com]
> Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 5:26 PM
> To: dev@harmony.apache.org; geir@pobox.com
> Subject: RE: [doc][drlvm] trunk has old doc files
>
> >If there are duplicates, yes.  I thought we were using the externals to
> >get to stuff to *avoid* duplication.
>
> Yes, though I am not 100% sure we never broke that rule. Will
> investigate.
> Anyway, what I wanted to say is - if you suggest that we remove the docs
> from the trunk because they're on the site, we can probably do the same
> for classlib. If you notice, my second alternative was to adopt the
> classlib practice of using externals. Just which one is preferred?
>
> >I'd like to hear what others think too...
> Ok, I'm taking a break with this ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Nadya
>
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From: Geir Magnusson Jr. [mailto:geir@pobox.com]
> >Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 5:22 PM
> >To: dev@harmony.apache.org
> >Subject: Re: [doc][drlvm] trunk has old doc files
> >
> >
> >
> >Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:
> >>>> - removing the docs from the directory: can have links to the
> website
> >> in
> >>>> README instead
> >>> +1
> >>>
> >> Can we adopt the same for classlib and stop using svn externals?
> >
> >If there are duplicates, yes.  I thought we were using the externals to
> >get to stuff to *avoid* duplication.
> >
> >Just so I'm not confusing things, can you give me an example ?
> >
> >
> >I'd like to hear what others think too...
> >
> >geir
> >
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Nadya
> >>
> >>
> >>> -----Original Message-----
> >>> From: Geir Magnusson Jr. [mailto:geir@pobox.com]
> >>> Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 4:42 PM
> >>> To: dev@harmony.apache.org
> >>> Subject: Re: [doc][drlvm] trunk has old doc files
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:
> >>>> Hi all,
> >>>>
> >>>> The directory drlvm/trunk/vm/doc has the old documents Getting
> >> Started
> >>>> and Developer's guide. These have not been updated for a while and
> >> use
> >>>> the old style sheet. Fresher versions are available on the website.
> >>>>
> >>>> I suggest that we fix the inconsistency by:
> >>>>
> >>>> - removing the docs from the directory: can have links to the
> website
> >> in
> >>>> README instead
> >>> +1
> >>>
> >>>> or
> >>>>
> >>>> - copying the latest doc versions from site to svn vm/doc directory
> >> and
> >>>> using svn externals to hook up to site (as is done for some
> classlib
> >>>> docs)
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> What do you say?
> >>>>
> >>>> Cheers, Nadya
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
>

Mime
View raw message