harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build] HWA doesn't work
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 13:13:14 GMT
2006/12/4, Mikhail Fursov <mike.fursov@gmail.com>:
> On 12/4/06, Alexey Varlamov <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > My understanding is that the SetBCPElement() should be a private
> > member of BootstrapClassLoader but not public. Altering bootclasspath
> > at runtime after complete initialization is not an allowable thing,
> > and this should be enforced by design.
>

> Alexey,
> this method was made public for vmcore module to adjust bootclasspath during
> initialization stage. This is the mechanism for components to register
> their  Java code in VM during startup.
> If we change the schema of registration of Java code for components (for
> example, allowing modification of public bootclasspath property), then yes,
> we can make this method private.

This is exactly what I meant. Yes, properties are just there to adjust
them during init; AFAIU BootstrapClassLoader.Initialize() is
guaranteed to be called later than any VM component initialization,
therefore component can modify bcp-properties legally.
This would also reduce coupling between vmcore and EM. Though there
are component startup classes which need to be loaded and
initialized... Can we handle this on EM side somehow (in a lazy manner
maybe)?
Another issue here is using Java properties for magics, I presume we
want them as VM-internal actually? BTW, can we use just prefixes to
mark keys, instead of prefix.*.suffix? I mean,
-Dvm.components.gc_cc.startupclass -> -XDvm.components.startupclass.gc_cc

This would better fit properties API, get_properties_keys_staring_with().
What do you say?