harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build] Downloading dependencies
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:37:46 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Can we actually build w/ VS.NET 2005?

No we can't. Too much has changed since VS.NET 2003, and even building
classlib is a pain, I didn't even try drlvm. But I think we'll have to
support VS.NET 2005 eventually.

> if so, then search for both...

No I just mentioned that if we some day support VS.NET we'll have to
check for both msvcr71.dll and msvcr80.dll.

> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>> Ivanov, Alexey A wrote:
>>> In default installation WinXP does not have this library in system32.
>>> This library is installed by Visual Studio 2003 and may be installed by
>>> other software which was compiled with Visual Studio 2003 (which is
>>> v7.1). Visual Studio 2002 (v7.0) has msvc70.dll, if I remember
>>> correctly.
>>

>> Also if the person has VS.NET 2005 installed, the DLL name is
>> msvcr80.dll.
>>
>>> That is it may happen system lacks for this DLL. And Microsoft
>>> recommends avoiding copying DLLs to system32 when installing an
>>> application. Thus we better distribute this DLL in snapshots and further
>>> releases because users may not have it.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, if a person has Microsoft compiler installed, the DLL
>>> will most likely be in system32.
>>>
>>> That's it.
>>> --
>>> Alexey A. Ivanov
>>> Intel Enterprise Solutions Software Division

but it would fail
>>> or
more trouble than
>>> it