harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general][vote] new snapshots
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:33:39 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> I put another set of snapshots in
>>
>>   http://people.apache.org/~geirm/snapshots/
>>
>> Due to problem w/ hotel network, the Windows JRE didn't make it, but
>> it's embedded in the JDK and HDK anyway :)
>>
>> Give them a spin.  I've haven't tested them at all - I just created from
>> latest SVN this morning.  I'll be back in US in about 10 hours, so look
>> forward to the comments...
>
> I've tried to run Harmony on a x86 server of mine and I got this:
>
> [stefano@edna] ~/harmony-jdk-r487452 $ ./bin/java -version
> Apache Harmony Launcher : (c) Copyright 1991, 2006 The Apache Software
> Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.
> Failed to open JVM DLL:
> /home/stefano/harmony-jdk-r487452/jre/bin/default/harmonyvm
> (libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

It means that you have gcc 3.x.x installed while Geir used gcc 4.x.x to
compile Harmony. The gcc 3.x.x uses libstdc++ 5.0 while gcc 4.x.x uses
libstdc++ 6.0.

> This machine is pretty much a JVM farm for our project and has pretty
> much nothing installed but sshd, java, jetty and our webapps.
>
> Linux edna 2.6.8-2-686-smp #1 SMP Thu May 19 17:27:55 JST 2005 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> the OS is debian.
>
> So, I've done "apt-get install libstdc++6" and now things work fine.

Great.

> I think harmony should check if libstdc++ is present and complain with a
> more useful error message.

I think it will get better when you can do apt-get harmony and it will
pull out all necessary depends :)

We also could have an installer which would give that warning for those
who don't use distribution supplied packages.

--
Gregory