harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [doc][user experience] minor improvements to website navigation and content
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:59:14 GMT
Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:
> Salikh,
> Thanks for a constructive customer response. Makes me think in a new
> way. Below are answers to your specific issues.
>
>> This looks like a disaster:
> Do you mean the menu? Let's see...

I meant
"I could not find information I visit harmony web site for".

For your reference, I browse harmony website daily on average,
mostly looking for the DRLVM documentation pages or for cut-n-pasting
hard-to-remember urls (like SVN urls and ViewVC (aka ViewCVS) urls for online
source browsing)

>> DRLVM documentation is gone
> Ok, I'll bring back the component pages :)

Thanks.

>> SVN information is gone,
> No. look at the downloads page

I second Geir: Source code repository access deserves page of its own.

>> Some of the links are duplicated: "Getting started", "Get involved",
>> "Contributing" -- there isn't good way to understand their exact
> meaning
>> besides reading the linked pages.
> Yes, I don't like the names either, but I don't know which pages to
> leave out of the menu and how to rename the rest.
> - Getting Started is the new element here and I have a strong feeling we
> should make this link part of menu. This is about how to download and
> use or download and build and use.

If it is related to downloads so strongly, then remove it from the front page
altogether. Then, we need to make sure that "Getting started" is included into
binary downloads, as well as linked (or even inline) from "Downloads" page.

> - Contributing is about policies. Perhaps, we should name it so -
> Policy.

Just "policy" is even less clear than "contributing". I would suggest that we
leave it as it was: "Contribution policy".

> - Get Involved is a central place for all means of communication with
> the project and some inspirational stuff like Am I Eligible and Submit a
> Patch if you like. Should probably keep it in the menu as well. Any
> ideas on what to call it?

The name "Get involved" sounds okay to me. What bothers me is that section
title duplicates page title.