harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [doc][user experience] minor improvements to website navigation and content
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:45:36 GMT
Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I've experimented a bit with our website to improve browsing and make
> key pages or ideas stand out more.
>
> See http://people.apache.org/~nadinem/docs/

Sorry, my first response may have been overly emotional.
Here is the detailed list of issues I noticed:

I think the following changes are not good:
(-) Renaming "Contribution policy" -> "Contributing" makes the link vague
(-) Removing subcomponents map from the navigation pane (I use it all the time)
(-) Removing "Source code" link (I use it regularly). And downloads page is not
the place I would go to look for a source code repository information.
(-) Renaming "Mailing lists" -> "Subscribe" ("subscribe" is less informative)
(-) The section "In the project" has no clearly defined subject and looks like
a heap of links randomly collected together.
(-) Moving "Downloads" from "General" section to "Get involved" section. Most
of our users are not going to be involved. They would just want to download and
use the JDK/JRE.
(-) Renaming navigation subsection "Community" -> "Get involved". It now
duplicates with the page title, and does not provide a logical explanation of
what links are listed in the section. "Community" was explaining the group of
links better.

The following changes look good to me:
(+) "JIRA" -> "Submit a bug" ("JIRA" is way too cryptic)
(+) removing "ASF" link

The following items need further attention
(*) FAQ page looks outdated and needs to be revised (e.g. in response to Sun
open-sourcing hotspot etc.)
(*) "Submit an issue" does not lead to a link submission form, but to a issue
browser. IMHO, it should be renamed to "issue tracker" or "bug tracker".
(*) "Site map" link in the navigation pane deserves a subsection of its own,
and need not be grouped with any other links.