harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Pervov" <pmcfi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm/classlib/jdktools] system property o.a.h.boot.class.path
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:21:42 GMT

> [snip]
> > I believe, I can shed some light on the decision of making SetBCPElement
> > available to the public.
> > Magics are different from the rest of the jars in the way they belong to
> the
> > respective components, which provide these jars.
> They are no way different than kernel.jar, which belongs to vmcore.
> Just a matter of modular packaging, nothing more.

They are different from kernel.jar in the way kernel.jar contains part
of API specification classes implemented in it and component jars are
intended for internal VM use only and does not contain any public classes.
That is the difference. That is why I do not think these jars should be
available through public APIs too.

> I don't see it as advantage for these jars to be available through any
> > public APIs for browsing - including system properties.
> I can see some advantages - e.g. being clear and predictable.

IMHO, what is currently implemented *is* clear and predictable. :) The only
issue I can see in current implementation is code localization and
incapsulation.

> It is not exactly "regular use". Still, if you insist on keeping
> > SetBCPElement() private, merge the code from
> > bootstrap_add_components_classpath with
> > the BootstrapClassLoader initialization code.
> Usually they call it a "hack", when an public API is there but not
> meant for regular use ;) So I will do as you suggest, move it to
> BootstrapClassLoader::Initialize().

Hmm... Probably, you are right - it's a hack. :) So, change it, thanks.

--
Pavel Pervov,