harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexander Kleymenov" <kleyme...@gmail.com>
Subject [drlvm][testing] Regression Testing Framework announcement
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:49:55 GMT
Hello,

With this letter I'd like to announce another step made to robust and
trustworthy DRLVM – its regression testing infrastructure. Recently it
was committed into DRLVM workspace and now it is ready to be used. To
get started with framework there is a README file placed under
src/test/regression directory. Along with the README file you can see
examples of the regression tests.

Here I am listing the main features of the framework:
    - The regression test format is JUnit. (Recommended, but not limited by).
    - Support for custom test launchers allowing to configure the way
to execute the test (JVM arguments specifying, environment variables
presetting, some preconditions checking and so on)
    - Easy new test integration. Just write it, and place it in to the
right place (actually corresponding to JIRA report describing the
problem)
    - Support for test consisting of Java/C/C++/Java Assembler source code.

Now, to successfully proceed with DRLVM regression testing:
 - From formal point of view: we should take an agreement for each
closing JIRA to provide (whenever it's possible) regression test
complying with format of the framework. For more information on "Good
Issue Resolution Guideline" see [1].
 - From technical point of view: we should include automated
regression testing into CC based code integrity testing.

I'd like to thank and encourage the people who already use the
framework. I see 2 new regression tests implemented: for HARMONY-2259
[2] (by George Timoshenko) and for HARMONY-2261 [3] (by Egor Pasko).
Great stuff! Let's go in such a way! Let's provide regression tests
without describing of launch preconditions (as for example in
HARMONY-2872 [4]) but saying for themselves! And, I believe, soon
DRLVM will become even more reliable and stable!

Thank you,
Alexander

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/issue_resolution_guideline.html