harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][swing][testing] Tests that depend on Garbage Collector
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:31:10 GMT
Alexey, you wrote,
>  None of VMs in Harmony seem to perform garbage collection when System.gc() is called.

Could you please give a bit more details? Which of Harmony VMs and GCs
have you tried?

On 12/6/06, Ivanov, Alexey A <alexey.a.ivanov@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are three tests in Swing which depend on Garbage Collector. That is GC is _really_
run as the result of System.gc() call.

> These tests are:
>    * javax.swing.text.GapContent_InternalTest.testPositionGC(),
>    * javax.swing.text.StyleContextTest.testCollectGarbageInCache(), and
>    * javax.swing.text.StyleContextTest.testCollectGarbageInCacheFont().
>
> What they check is:
> * j.s.t.Position instances are removed from the internal list of GapContent when an instance
is not used any more. (PhantomReference and WeakReference are involved.)
> * cached AttributeSets are removed from it (WeakHashMap).
> * cached Fonts are removed from the corresponding cache (WeakReference).
>

> These tests always pass when run on the RI. They were used to ensure caching works fine.
None of VMs in Harmony seem to perform garbage collection when System.gc() is called, and
mostly these tests fail. However, sometimes they pass.

--
Thank you,
Alexei