harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drrvm][jitrino] How can we start Escape Analysis
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:36:38 GMT

> Yu, welcome to Harmony community. :-)
>
> On 12/15/06, Mikhail Fursov <mike.fursov@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In the case if monitors costs nothing, what other targets for escape
> > analysis could be?
>
> Good question. :-)
>
> Roughly speaking,
> 1. Lock reservation tries to remove true locking operations at runtime;
> 2. Escape analysis tries to remove lock operations at compile-time;
> 3. Monior inlining tries to imporve locking code sequence.
>
> Each of them has respective applicable scenario.

I asked about EA based scenario for monitors or other helpers that can give
us performance benefit. I understand that EA uses knowledge about objects
live-range at compilation time.
The only scenario I see is removal of recursive monitors for inlined methods
- this task is already covered by EA code (turned off) today in Jitrino.
Do you want to improve EA to collect some data for GC?
+ Are there any plans to reuse or improve current EA code?

--
Mikhail Fursov