harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][GC] (HARMONY-2398) patch for GCv5 alloc helper inlining
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 15:31:16 GMT

> > >Rana,
> > >Allocation helper inlining is turned on only in server mode
> (-Xem:server)
> > >and only for gc_cc
>

> Yes, I realized after running the micro that the fast helper is checked
> in,
> but it is not inlined yet :-) Is the server mode not the default mode? In
> general, most common use case options need to be default, isn't it?

I think we should add it to the default mode this month. I do it in server
mode today to avoid new bugs in the default mode.

>Even running in server mode there is a nuance: we do not have OSR so let
> > the
> > >method to be recompiled before testing.
>

> I did not understand this. Does this mean that after the initial compiles
> by
> jet, we can come back later and recompile  hot methods with OPT, but we
> cannot make inlining decisions without OSR? Why? Why won't the allocation
> fastpath get inlined for the hot methods on the recompile?

I mean that if the whole test is in the one method the optimized method
version will never be executed unless we have on stack replacement support.

I can help you to prepare configuration for -Xem:opt mode and rerun the
> > test.
>

> Could you please publish the necessary Xem:opt configuration here? Thanks.

I attached the file. Put it to the default dir and use -Xem:opt_plus cmd
line

--
Mikhail Fursov