harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][GC] (HARMONY-2398) patch for GCv5 alloc helper inlining
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:50:30 GMT

> Hi, patch for GCv5 alloc inlining was submitted. This patch has also
> some other improvement in parallel collection.
>
> Dear committer, please help to commit it at your early convenience.
>
> Mikhail, after the patch is committed, would you please have a look if
> the inlining can work well with GCv5 allocation?  Thanks.
>
> I don't use two TLS values for the fast path allocation; instead, only
> one TLS value is used for GC, and it is a pointer to the GC thread
> local infomation. The code is the same logic as  gc_alloc_fast( )  in
> file gc_gen/thread/mutator_alloc.cpp and gc_thread.h. (Except that the
> Java code has no large object threshold check, that is only one
> constant comparison anyway.)

Xiao-Feng,
I checked the helper's part of the diff.
I have a question about TLS usage in your code.

You said that you use only one TLS slot to keep the pointer to
GC_thread_info.
In this case Java code of the helper is incorrect:

        Address TLS_BASE = VMHelper.getTlsBaseAddress();

        Address allocator = TLS_BASE.plus(TLS_GC_OFFSET);
        Address free_addr = allocator.plus(0);
        Address free = free_addr.loadAddress();

I can fix it by myself after your patch is applied, of you can resubmit the
patch.

--
Mikhail Fursov