harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivan Popov" <ivan.g.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jdktools] Eclipse debugger is now supported with Harmony JDK
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:21:48 GMT

> On Dec 29, 2006, at 8:27 AM, Ivan Popov wrote:
>
> > Once jdktools building problems and several JVMTI issues had been
> > fixed, I created local snapshot of Harmony JDK (using federated build)
> > and tested it with Eclipse debugger. It appeared working well on both
> > Windows and Linux (IA32), so it is possible now to use Eclipse
> > debugger for debugging Java applications running on Harmony JRE. I
> > think we can add Eclipse JDT debugger to the list of supported
> > applications.
>
> Woot!
>
> Care to post some instructions for people - say on the wiki for now,
> and we'll move to our site?

OK. Actually, it does not differ from using Eclipse debugger with any
other JDK, so experienced people should have any problems. For
inexperienced people I'll try to find some guidelines for Eclipse
debugger.

> > I'd like also to improve jdktools build to enable building and running
> > JDWP unit tests and include these tests into regular testing process.
>
> Thanks for the reminder.  I didn't get those done when getting JDWP
> into the jdktools.  If you don't beat me to it, I'll get them
> integrated.

Ilya added patch (004.run-test.patch) to HARMONY-2180 for running JDWP
tests, but I did not try it. I'm going to look at it and adjust if
necessary.

 > > I've tested also Eclipse TPTP profiler and it appeared working well
> > with Harmony JRE in general, but currently is blocked by HARMONY-2905.
> > Will continue working on this.
>
> Again, any simple how-tos on this would be magnificent...

Using Eclipse TPTP Java profiler is much more tricky (because this is
a new project in TPTP platform, based on JVMTI support), but they have
a good guideline [1]. Again, using it with Harmony JDK does not have
any difference.

Thanks.
Ivan

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/platform/documents/tutorials/jvmti/Java_Application_Profiling_using_TPTP-r4-3.html